Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Starbucks vs. Teavana


  I’ll admit it, I am a Starbucks addict. My love for coffee started at a young age, when riding to work with my day and stopping by Dunkin’ Donuts. To feel cool like him, I ordered a coffee with more sugar than water, and from then on, my addiction to beverage was born. I have always been a fan of Starbucks coffee. The price was always a little steep to me, but their lattés couldn’t be beat, and I would indulge myself maybe once or twice a month, tops. That is, until I met my boyfriend, Will. Will is a former Starbucks barista, where he worked in both Charlotte and Greenville during college. He opened my eyes to why Starbucks coffees are so much better than the rest, and my trips to the store really started to add up. 
A few months ago, when I realized that my bank account was dwindling, and the main reason for it was my obsession with skinny vanilla lattés, I knew I needed an intervention. A cheaper, alternative way to get my fix for a warm beverage, and one that maybe wasn’t always caffeinated. That way I could drink them in the evening, too. 
So, I tried my luck at Teavana, and fell in love all over again, and didn’t even feel guilty about cheating on my girlfriend, the green mermaid. What I love about tea is the fact that it is much more convenient. You can make it at home, rather than hitting up the coffee shop every morning. Also, the unique flavors and combinations are endless. So are the benefits and vitamins that come from every kind of tea. There are teas to give you energy and caffeine like coffee, but there are also teas to relax you and help you fall asleep. I am obsessed with the Lavender Dreams blend at Teavana. You can mix it with several different other favorites of mine. Such as their Citrus lavendar sage blend, or their Peachberry Jasmine Sutra and your tastebuds will be in heaven, and your mind at ease. For my mornings, when I crave caffeine, the Blackberry Mojito green tea is AMAZING. 

For my birthday, I was given a teapot that I had had my eye on at the store for a while. It is made of Yixing clay, and the clay seasons over time and enhances the flavors of your favorite tea. The Yixing teapot is in the shape of a dragon, which symbolizes power and strength. The tea spout is the dragon’s mouth, and I just love the design of it. 
As I continue to try different teas from Teavana and learn the health benefits of each, I find myself pulling further from Starbucks each day. Which is a good thing, both for my wellbeing and for my pocket. If you’I highly recommend giving it a try! Even my personal barista is starting to come over to the dark side. :) 

-Brittani Pedersen


6 comments:

  1. I love this! Brittani, I've recently been cutting myself off from Starbucks to make tea at home. Initially, I would go to Starbucks for a White Cream; it has absolutely no coffee in it, just cream and milk. What a waste of money! Now I am addicted to chai lattes and double tall lattes. My allowance towards my addiction is $15 a week, but lately that doesn't last me due to my increase in size for the winter, being that I work outside. I have just started to cut back by making a delicious tea before I head out for the day, and if I crave it I remind myself of the sleepy time flavor I have waiting for me at home. This story was spot on. Starbucks has a way of pulling you in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never really been a fan of Starbucks, but I have tried Teavana before. My parents bought me a traditional Japanese teapot from there, so I figured I would go buy some tea. I was floored by the prices there. I thought "no big deal, you brew tea leaves multiple times." So I bought some of my favorite type of tea: Oolong. I found that the type I bought had more "flavoring" than tea leaves, and didn't like it much. It's awesome to see someone else who appreciates tea and how to brew it traditionally, but for me Teavana is way too pricy and "flavor" filled when compared to 16+ bags of organic Pu-Er tea for $6.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a very cool post. I can relate a lot when you noticed your money was running out. Buying coffee daily isn't cheap! Still, i've never been a huge coffee person. The first time I tried it I thought it was bitter. My thoughts about coffee haven't really changed that much. I do, however, love tea! It keeps me calm. I really liked reading about how you tried tea and liked it. The teapot you got is really awesome! It reminds me of what little I know of Chinese culture. I agree with the person above me. Teavana is really good but it is expensive. I think there is good tea out there that's more affordable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unfortunately, I have noticed the same problem with my bank account/Starbucks addiction. I could never seem to get enough, but I suppose that is the whole point and brand of the company. Teavana seems like a great alternative I would have never thought of! With the holidays coming up I will definitely have to consider looking into getting some of their product.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a very good topic. I have been a fan of hot and cold teas for a while, but since I've gotten older I have falling in love with Starbucks. I have also tried Teavana and some of the flavors are pretty unique, but price wise they are a little too expensive. I know at Starbucks I can get exactly what I want and for a reasonable price.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have always loved tea. That is the reason I chose to read your article. Your article was well constructed. It was a perfect advertisement for Teavana. It makes me want to try out the various teas that you mentioned. Tea has so many health benefits in addition to the psychological aspect of the relaxing tea ritual. I am glad you have found a warm beverage that helps you and your wallet.

    ReplyDelete