Monday, November 12, 2012

Hair Flag Lady



Tuesday was an iconic day for America because so much happened to our nation.   President Obama was reelected, marijuana was legalized in Colorado, gay marriage was legalized in Maryland and Maine, and Elizabeth Warren became the first woman to be elected into the U.S. Senate from Massachusetts.  However with all of these progressive events happening to our country the nation continues to talk about the flag lady. 

            During Obama’s acceptance speech sitting directly behind his left shoulder was a woman with a flag stuck in her hair.  I found it terribly distracting when I was trying to watch and listen to Obama’s speech.  Every time she moved the flag moved too drawing so much attention.  “The Hair Flag Lady” went viral, people all across America were tweeting about the woman with the flag in her hair.  A few of my favorites include; “How far into that lady’s brain does that flag go?” tweeted singer Josh Groban, “I hope that lady is getting texts from her mother: “TAKE THAT FLAG OUT OF YOUR HAIR. EVERYONE CAN SEE YOU. #flaghead,”, and “did an astronaut land on that lady’s head and stick a flag in it,” – @jwoliner.
            No one knows who the flag in hair girl is yet, she is still referred to as “hairflag” or “the hair flag lady.  I think she’s probably a little embarrassed and has decided to not identify herself as the hair flag lady.  South Park even featured her in their episode on the election titled “Obama wins”.  I think it’s funny how one little mistake can make you notorious for something as simple as having a flag in your hair.  Maybe she thought it looked awesome and wore her hair flag with pride.  And maybe she stuck it in there to get something out of her purse and then forgot to take it out of her hair.  Whatever her reasoning is I feel as if she needs to embrace the fact that she is the flag hair lady.  


-Anna Kirwan 

3 comments:

  1. This has been one of the funniest things yet. This lady made it up and down my timeline like she had won the election! I really wish I could have reached my hand through the TV and snatched that thing out myself!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The fact that South Park tried to replicate every person in the background is hilarious to me, not just the flag lady!
    I say hey, if you can put a flag in your hair, do it. Make it happen. Work it. And if it gets you famous, even better. The quickest, easiest way to become a celebrity is to do something ridiculous like this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes it is amazing to me the things that stick out to us as a people during something as important as a presidential acceptance speech. I watched this speech and I can say I definitely noticed her as well. I think she should be glad she was able to grab the attention of so many people with just a flag in her hair. I would embrace that fame that I was able to get people to watch me rather than THE PRESIDENT OF THE U.S!! Its actually pretty cool. And I wouldnt put it past this flag thing to become a new trend. Who knows next election maybe there will be people all over with flags in their heads.

    ReplyDelete