Monday, November 26, 2012

M83: The City is My Church

This past Sunday I went to the Filmore at the Music Factory to see M83. M83 is a band from France and their show was absolutely amazing. M83 is most popularly known for their songs Midnight City and Reunion. They have a very distinct sound; they use several synthesizers along with a guitarist and a drummer. They are very much a jam band.


Their show on Sunday was the first time that they have ever performed in Charlotte. I showed up with my friends Peyton, Sydney, and Daniel. We got there early so that we could have a good view of the show. We ended up being in the 6th row or so and we were able to see the whole show easily.
The band members fed off the crowd and delivered a passionate and energetic show. It was the first major concert that I had been to since I got my iPhone, so I was able to take lots of high quality pictures and videos.
M83 includes a massive light show along with their music and it just blew my mind. I was feeling good when I showed up to the show, and the lights and music were just what I was hoping for. The massive base speakers and the electronic beats were so cool.
One of the coolest things about live shows is watching bands rock out. When a band is genuinely excited to be playing for the crowd it translates into an even better show. M83, being from France, might have been tired of being on the road. But if they were, it didn’t show because they were passionate and excited to be in Charlotte for the first time.
The show did end rather early, around 10:30, and that left me wishing that M83 had played more songs. That was the only disappointment though, the set and long encore that M83 played was unbelievable. I thoroughly enjoyed myself and would recommend M83 to any music lover.

-Calvin Lescault

1 comment:

  1. I'm so jealous. I completely forgot about that show. I think I didn't go because I thought it was too pricey. I enjoy M83's music (even if it was Midnight City that got me hooked). Their music makes me want to dance and sit down and contemplate life all at once. It's not surprising that they had a light show - lights complement their music well. I'm now sorry that I didn't go. For the next few days, I'm probably going to wallow and listen to their entire "Hurry up, We're dreaming" album repeatedly.

    ReplyDelete