Tuesday, November 27, 2012








Beer. Beer. Beer.    



      Did you know that beer changes like the seasons?! I’m a big beer drinker, mostly those from micro-breweries... not your typical watered down tasting bud light, but it doesn’t just stop there.. I enjoy beers from different seasons. For example, I just finished my last Pumpkin UFO. UPO is apart of Harpoon Brewery which is based out of Boston, MA. UFO is referred to Harpoon’s unfiltered wheat beer style of brewing; my favorite from this brewery is the UFO White, a orangey sweeter wheat beer, typically drunk in the summer months. You’ll find once you read more into this post that I tend to like summer beers a bit more. I’m currently enjoying a beer from my favorite brewery - Bell’s. Bell’s is based out of Kalamazoo, MI. The beer I’m having is called Best Brown Ale, this is a traditional toasty brown ale produced only in the months of fall and winter; it has hints of caramel and malt but yet not too heavy either, perfect for the coolers months of fall and winter. In the weeks to come I’ll be in search of Cold Mountain, which is Highland Brewery’s winter ale. Highland Brewery is located right here in the state of NC in Asheville. Cold Mountain is quite difficult to get a hold of and generally runs about 20-25 dollars a 12 pack; pretty expensive for beer if you ask me, but it’s not the most I’ve paid.
  During the summer months I have my go-to-brews: UFO White, which we discussed earlier, Shocktop, a Belgium style wheat ale (similar to blue moon) which is a bit more common than the rest, Brooklyn Summer Ale, brewed in... you guessed it Brooklyn, this beer is lighter for a summer beer with just a slit hint of bitterness topped off with citrus and floral notes.  All of these are great summer beers but I saved the best summer beer for last: Bell’s Oberon, it’s made with spicy hops, a touch of fruit, and wheat malts, leaving a clean feel in your mouth; making this one of the most pleasurable summer brews to enjoy, in my opinion.
     To wrap the brew tour up, I saved my absolute favorite beer of for last. This brew also comes from my favorite brewery, Bell’s, it’s called Two-Hearted Ale. Two-hearted is an IPA, which stands for Indian Pale Ale, this style of beer is defined by it’s intense hop taste. I’m not an huge fan of IPAs, generally because some of them can be incredibly hoppy however this IPA is about medium bodied for an IPA, it’s also unfiltered and balanced well with malt coming from Bell’s signature house yeast, making this IPA probably the most drinkable. It’s hoppy but no where near as hoppy as a Dogfish Head 60 or 90 minute IPA. Luckily for me this beer is brewed year round!!! I suggest everyone who hasn’t tried some craft beers to look into them. Find a taste or even a season you enjoy and always remember to drink responsibly!


Krisztian Martin









No comments:

Post a Comment