Monday, October 1, 2012

Bunny Jumping: The Best Sport Ever or the Greatest Sport Ever?

     The new sensation sweeping the nation this fall is certainly to be Bunny Jumping. Formally called kaninhop, this Danish sport (I’m using the term loosely) compresses all the adrenaline of watching horses leap over inanimate objects into a much smaller, more manageable activity. Kaninhop was invented in the late 1970s by a person who apparently had a terrifying amount of time on their hands, as well as a rabbit. It is a ferociously fuzzy sport that will have you on the edge of your seat in a matter of seconds, fully out of your seat in a matter of minutes, and back at your house in a matter of hours reevaluating the life decisions that brought you to such a frivolous competition. 
The sport (I still have trouble calling it that) has deep roots in Scandinavia, and has recently permeated the United States as well. Kaninhop enthusiasts are recruiting new fans every year, and hopefully this season they will have a large enough fan base to hold their competitions in their local YMCA rather than having to settle for the middle school gym. The bunnies involved in these competitions train tirelessly, and their trainers must also practice holding the leash with medical precision. If the leash is to become taught, it could spell disaster for the rabbit as it soars through the air. To combat this very real threat, trainers use an inordinately long leash which, in addition to keeping the rabbit safe, allows the human to move as little as possible. As you can tell, both the rabbit and the trainer must be in top physical form if they want to compete in organizations as prestigious as the American Association of Sporting Events for Rabbits. This group has multiple competitions within it, such as the long jump, the high jump and the elite crooked competition, all of which demand unwavering focus and determination. Like it or not, kaninhop is en route to becoming the next big thing around the globe, and if this article hasn’t prepared you well enough for that impending reality, check out this informative video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptyKSiRyQ4Y.  Happy hopping!

- Eric Richard







10 comments:

  1. This is awesome. I love that as I was scrolling through the blogs, most had to do with a fear or a personal interest; yet yours was so off the wall that there is no way anyone could have prepared to see a big blue title reading "Bunny Jumping". Your humor throughout your blog was the best part. It was enjoyable to read how these bunny jumping events actually work while keeping the mood on the light side. This is definitely the most interesting blog post that I have read, probably ever. Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post made me laugh and smile a lot since I am a native from Scandinavia (Sweden) and I have actually heard about this sport (I don't know if it is appropriate to call it that either). The reason I am familiar with this is because one of my cousins used to do this in her own backyard and would have me and my sister help her set up the objects the bunnies were jumping over. I had no idea though that this originated in Scandinavia and that it now has spread to the US. How did you hear about this sport?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked the post, and I'm also a little shocked that you already knew about the sport! I knew I wanted to write about a quirky sport, so I literally typed "world's most obscure sports" into my search browser. The funny thing is, kaninhop was not nearly as peculiar as some of the other sports (i.e. ladder racing, chasing a roll of cheese down a hillside). If I ever need a knowledgeable "kaninhopper" I'll be sure to ask for an interview with you... thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  3. Bunny Jumping is too cute! Your blog is my favorite. You make my day. They are so cute! Also Thank you so much for sharing the knowledge and history about kaninhop. You are the coolest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is no denying that rabbits are absolutely adorable. I think the only reason why I don't feel bad for the rabbits involved in kaninhop is because they look so darn cute while they're hopping around! Thanks for the positive feedback, and I'll try to keep thinking up of interesting posts!

      Delete
  4. I had to watch the video before I believed that it was a real thing. I'm not sure if I should laugh because its hilarious or to call animal control because its kinda of cruel and unusual. I'm leaning more towards unusual. Your title is what really caught my attention. I read it twice to make sure I had read correctly. Until I watched the video I was convinced that this was all satire and you were just making it up. Thats not the case.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This seems like it would be rather fun to watch. Definitely an interesting twist to sport but I'm sure many of the "fans?" would get a kick out of watching this, i know i would! This is a blog i never expected to come across but i am glad i did. Thank you for the little jolt of laughter Eric!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so hilarious and random! How does one even think this up? "Hey I have a rabbit, you have a rabbit, let's race!"
    Although I do agree with Christine, I get kind of sad when I see animals involved in sport. Don't expect me to ever attend a derby or anything like that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. bunny jumping seems like it was thought of as a joke. i could not believe that i just watched bunnies hop over hurdles as a sport, or that people promote this and have fun with it. This is quite interesting though how something from sweden has made such a buzz.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As funny as that was, I feel so bad for the bunnies. I mean when you think of ahtletic animals, bunnies does not pop up first. A bunnies job is to eat carrots, sleep, and run around your room. I mean it's a bunny for crying out loud! Who thinks of this kind of thing? I agree when you said this person had way too much time on their hands.

    ReplyDelete