Thursday, October 4, 2012

Bricktops: Eat. Drink. Be Merry



      I’ve been a waiter for the past 6 years; for over three years I’ve spent them at one restaurant, Bricktops, a restaurant fairly similar to Houston's and 131 Main. Bricktops has only one location in Charlotte and is located on Morrison Blvd directly across the street from South Park Mall. At Bricktops I started as a waiter and quickly moved into the training team there; working directly with management in training new associates. Recently, I’ve started bartending and 5 out of 7 of my shifts are spent behind the bar now. I enjoy bartending because we have plenty of regulars at the bar who I enjoy speaking to. I’m also able to meet new people and talk to them, primarily because I’m confined to a space so I don’t have to do all that running around on the floor. Even though we have plenty of regulars to converse with behind the bar, we also have them on the floor too, this is why I still spend two shifts there. We have well-known regulars such as Mr. & Mrs. Levine, Jerry Richardson, Charlotte mayor Anthony Foxx, former CEO of Bank of America Ken Lewis, Ralph Lovejoy, Johnny Richardson, etc. But it’s not just about the wealthy people, I recognized familiar faces every single shift and speak to everyone as much as possible. This is one of the things I love best about working at Bricktops. 

     I also admire everyones teamwork, communication, and passion for the guests. We have a team-based style of service where everyone works together but at the same time still has their own section to run. The food isn’t the most creative, however, the quality is far above par; all our steaks, lamb, seafood is cut in-house, all the sauces, salad dressings, etc are also made in-house. We also do something called taste-plate every morning, this is where the opening manager and kitchen manager literally taste every item, sauce, ingredient, under the roof to insure freshness and quality. 

     All of the management team are very in-tune with their specified responsibilities; we have a manager responsible for training, the host staff, barstaff, hospitality, hiring, the kitchen and of course a general manager. Overall, I have never enjoyed working for an employer as much as I do with Bricktops. We have set schedules and an online scheduled based system which allows you to trade, give-up, switch, and pick-up shifts. Even on top of this the management team understands that we have lives outside of work and sometimes things come up.

     I have made a lot of friends from not only the people I work with but also the guests. I see plenty of our guests around the South Park area and I always stop to talk with them. Once I graduate I hope to possibly acquire a management position with Bricktops. We are rapidly growing with locations in Atlanta (Buckhead), Naples, Nashville (West End), Nashville (Cool Springs), and the newest location in St. Louis (Frontenac); our next two locations will be in Coral Gables, Florida and Boca Raton, Florida. Come see me behind the bar for a drink and get to know more of our culture!!

Krisztian Martin


2 comments:

  1. Your blog immediately stuck out to me because I shared a similar experience. My first job was in a restaurant and I stayed there for three years. It's a small Spanish restaurant located in StoneCrest shopping center. Due to the fact that we were such a small place, it always had a warm, home-like feel to it. The regulars were the best part, which is why it took me six months to gust up the courage to turn in my notice. Ever since, I have never had a job as great as that one. My manager was the absolute best: family man, encouraged school studies, and all around nice guy. It was my school schedule that prevented me from being able to continue there, but the nice thing is that I still visit there from time to time and still feel like it's home. As for the regulars, I still see them all around the area and it is such a flattering feeling when they remember me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom's (late) best friend's son works there! His name is Ian Hayes. Do you know him? I love the flatbread there, it's delicious.

    The little community that co-workers form is a great thing. They're in your position so you can complain about all the same things. ;) I also think it's great that you've formed friendships with the customers. There is one restraunt I go to a lot where the people there know my name and remember things about me. They ask me questions about my life and it makes the experience very enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete