Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Big Eyes: A Gift and a Curse


Look at those puppies!
     I have big eyes. Since I was an infant, all I have ever heard is “Oh, you have such big eyes!” Don’t get me wrong, I appreciate the compliment but there comes a point, around the age of ten or eleven, when your response turns from, “Thank you very much.” To “Yes.. I know I have big eyes.”

      This post is titled “It’s a gift and a curse” and that is 100% true. I love my big eyes. I swear that they help me have amazing peripheral vision and they make for great facial expressions. But
now my dear friends, comes the curse. I warn you, it’s not pretty.

     Imagine if you will, a beautiful summer day, you are riding a bicycle enjoying the cool breeze as it blows through your hair. Then it happens, you were hoping that this time would be different but alas, the inevitable happens. A bug has flown into your eyeball! Ew, believe me I know it is gross, and if you care to change over to another blog I would completely understand. But, as I was saying, a bug has now landed in your eye and the blinking has begun. You get off your bike and start doing that weird, “I’m looking up but blinking and poking at my eye thing”. I told you in advance, it’s not pretty.
   
     Apart from the occasional bug in the eye, I also have to deal with the wind knocking all sorts of microscopic flecks in there. One of my least favorite things is to walk by someone who is using a leaf blower, or machines like it. As soon as I see it my head is turned in the opposite direction, and my eyes are usually squinted or closed.

      So now you see that while having big eyes can be a blessing, it can also cause quite the drama. If you do have big eyes, invest in sunglasses, goggles, or maybe some sort of military grade eyewear.


Until next time,
Jenna Buthman

9 comments:

  1. This is so interesting, I never thought of big eyes as being a curse. My eyes average and I don't really have to worry about bugs and stuff flying in them. However I think that big eyes are very pretty and you are lucky to have them Creative blog post, keep up the good work.
    -Anna

    ReplyDelete
  2. I kind of have this problem too except my problem is my eyes are very small! I always get people coming up to me saying "geez Jaz can you even see right now?" But I understand how you feel! Some people love my eyes and some people don't but I definately don't have the bug problem lol! Nice funny post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Big eyes are beautiful. I do not think that there is anything wrong with them. I do not think it is a curs either. I have big iris in my eyes compared to my eyeballs. Some people find that really weird. But it all depends on the person and how their face is structured and their genes.

    Savannah

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you were very creative with this post. I come from a family with big eyes. My eyes are not big in my opinion but my entire family looks alike so I really could not tell u if they are big or not. My cousins eyes are huge. He bats his eyelashes and they are so pretty but we do pick on him a little about his eyes. He does not take offense to it because it is natural and funny. I understand where you are coming from with the eye problem. I am glad that you do not take much offense to it and find it funny as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment. I find that with my big eyes I am able to have fun with facial expressions. I love theatre and i'm a rather silly person, these two things along with my big eyes allow for unique and exciting reactions. I did write the post in jest, and I don't take offense. The difference I have with your family is that mine are the only "large" eyes. Thank you for the comment! Get some glasses for you and your family "Protect the eyeballs!" :)

      Delete
  5. I never really thought about how bigger eyes can cause difficulty. But I think they are really pretty and not a curse. I mean if you think about it, almost every feature that stands out has its ups and downs. People say its so cute that I am short, but I still can't reach things in my own closet. The way I see it, nothing is ever perfect and if there isn't difficulties then it wouldn't be life. Life is always full of things we do not like but we put up with them and life goes on. So you have big eyes? More power too ya, so when that debris comes squint and keep it moving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the comment. Through this post I hoped to enlighten people about the potential difficulties of having big eyes, but I must say that I love how you turned it around to be something so positive. While my feelings do not specifically apply to the post, I found your comment to be extremely up lifting, and boy could I use that right about now. I can also relate to the short issue. I'm about 5' 6" (which is pretty average) but I can't reach anything! At work I have to use a ladder or go high up on my tippy toes to reach a blouse for someone. I salute your positivity and hope that you have a lovely day! :)

      Delete
  6. Such a different topic to post about, but a very relatable one! Eye compliments are also something I hear a lot except mine are always referring to the color. It's always nice to hear good things about yourself, but I definitely understand when you said eventually you're just like "yeah, I know I do".

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never really thought about the bad part of having big eyes. I know when I was younger I always would have some type of bug in my eyes and I didn't have big eyes. As I became older I didn't like being outside as much. I would have rather been in the house on in the gym. I think it happens to all outside people.

    ReplyDelete