Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Davie's Dogs

     Being a dog living in an apartment complex can get to be pretty boring.  You go to the same patch of grass everyday to do your business. You chase the same squirrels only to be stopped just before the bottom of the tree by your annoying leash. You can’t even play with the other dogs outside because their owners get offended if you even bark hello. Sometimes it’s nice to have a change of scenery and a chance to hang with friends without your parents standing over your shoulder. That’s why we love going to the dog park. 

     
 BEFORE: Headed to the park, hanging out
the window, and enjoying the breeze.
     We go to William R. Davie Park off of Pineville-Matthews Rd., where there is a well-kept, four acre dog park for pups like us. Separate sections for small dogs under 20 lbs. and dogs over 20 lbs. are nice so that the big dogs don’t get intimidated by us running the show. When we get into the gates, we are taken off our leashes and free to roam. We introduce ourselves to the other dogs there by sniffing a few butts, and then chase and wrestle each other the entire time. It is in the middle of a wooded area, so the tall trees and birds chirping create a nice ambience. Benches are placed throughout the play area so our owners can relax and watch us play. There’s a water pump to fill up the dog bowls provided there and even a baby pool for us to jump into if it gets to be too hot outside. 

     To be able to get some exercise while playing fetch and exploring in the woods keeps our tails wagging for days. It’s also a great way to socialize and has taught us to view dogs we don’t know as playmates, not enemies. By the time we get back to the car, we are worn out and sleep for the majority of the day when we arrive back home. We love going to Davies Dog Park, and hope to meet you and your dog there some time. Come check it out and play with us! 

AFTER: Worn OUT in the backseat
after playing for hours!

It’s a 'RUFF' life,

Wrigley and Lola
(Brittani Pedersen)

13 comments:

  1. What a creative blog! I loved the fact that you captured before and after pictures of your dogs; it really added to the story. I have dogs myself and when I was reading your post and the descriptions of how your dogs interact there and when they get home is the exact same way mine do, and they're well over 20 pounds. It was creative to put it in your dogs perspectives instead of your own. Your blog was very enjoyable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kimberlee! The before and after pictures don't even do justice to how different they act on the way there and then on the way home! It's so nice to take them out because they burn so much of their restless energy. We should head to the dog park together sometime soon since we never cross paths at Queens!

      Delete
  2. Your dogs are so cute! I love how the first paragraph is from the dogs perspective. It captures the reader and makes them wonder what life would be like for dogs living in apartments. I've never been to the dog park because I don't have a dog but this blog post makes me want to steal someone's dog for the day and go check it out.
    -Anna

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! Dogs that live in apartment buildings are often neglected because they don't have to space to roam and be free. People get lazy. They don't want to take their dog for a walk, or out to play on the lawn. Dog parks give dogs the opportunity to run free and play with other dogs. They let dogs get all of their energy out and have fun. I think if more people took the time to do this for their dogs they would realize that it benefits them both; the dogs are tired from playing, and you won't have to entertain them or deal with their hyper attitudes.

    Virginia Sloan

    ReplyDelete
  4. It amazes me how many people today keep their pets held up in their apartment or house. Dogs need daily excercise and care otherwise they could end up becoming fat or having medical problems. With the owners off to work or school, dogs are stuck out the house most likely sleeping. But they need to get out maybe for a walk or fetch once a day because that is just what a dog looks forward to everyday. Thank you for sharing your experience of which all of us should have with our pets

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alec, I completely agree with you. I can't tell you how many stories I've heard from friends who know someone that hardly ever takes their dog outside. It's so sad because that's what dogs do naturally, they want to run and play and explore in order to feel like a dog! The dog park is a great way to do this and it makes me feel better to know that I've let my dogs run free a couple times a week. Their faces say it all. They love the freedom of the dog park.

      Delete
  5. It's true like people pets need to get out and enjoy fresh air. I never owned a dog, but I have owned two cats and two birds. Cats are different, they are very independent and can stay inside and never step foot outside. I would clip the wings of my birds, which is great because it allows them to walk around and they enjoy have the open space. Oh, I didn't have the cat around when I had the birds outside the cage. We all enjoy have the freedom to enjoy the outdoors and it makes us feel alive. For cats it about have their own space.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This dog park sounds great. Thanks for sharing. I drive by the park all the time and had no idea it allowed dogs off leashes. My golden retriever and yorkie would love it. I will take my kids with me. Now that the weather is nicer, we might see you there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Quite a funny piece to read. I think you have your dog's thoughts pretty well mastered. Thats very good to hear that you take the time to take them to the dog park where they can roam free till complete exhaustion. I think all dogs need that type of exercise more than they are give it. Sounds like a great park for such great dogs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You was very creative with this post. I am not a fan of dogs but this sounds very interesting. This is great that there is a place where dogs can go to have fun and be around other dogs just like it. It really does save the hassle of dealing with people who do not want to be bothered with dogs. Its a safe fun place and I am glad that they have done something like that for you and your pets to enjoy. Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The dog is so funny and cute! I went to park with Meredith and her dog to take her dog to swim too. That was fun. I love the dog park!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really enjoyed this read! When I was back home I would take my dog HUD to the dog park every morning. I also feel you have a great understanding on what it is to be a great pet owner. College kids often get caught up and their studies and tend to forget about their furry friends back home. I admire your dedication to please your pups and their needs for the outdoors.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love how you wrote this in your dog's voices. I think it's great that you were able to find a dog park that is close by so your little guys can play. Little dogs like that seem to possess a lot of energy, and you don't want them letting that energy out around the house. They're like children, as well: they need to learn how to play nicely with others, and you made that possible by taking them to the dog park.

    ReplyDelete