Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Queens: In a Nutshell


     Queens University is a small (very small) private school located in a residential neighborhood in beautiful Charlotte, NC. You may never have heard about it before, but I can tell you that it truly is a gem among the rubble. Our motto “Non ministrari sed ministrare” means “Not to be served but to serve”. After being a student of Queens University for two and a half years, I can safely say that our motto is not just talk.
     I could go on and on about the statistics and courses available at Queens, but this post (and the corresponding video) are going to go beyond that and give you an insiders look at what it is like to go to Queens.
Full yr of work!
     Let’s begin with the Academics. Since the student body is so small, most classes will have at maximum of about 32 students. I love this aspect. Small classes allow me to connect with my fellow classmates as well as with my professors. The course work is strenuous but worth it. Students and professors are dedicated to the advancement of knowledge in every department. The essays, projects, exams and readings are all worth it when you think about the incredible education you are being given.
      Next, I want to talk about the School itself. Queens is beautiful. The campus is small, but rich with history; extraordinary architecture and plenty of lovely landscaping make it a breath taking location. Our faculty work to make the school as appealing to students as possible. Sometimes I’m shocked at how involved our faculty and student government are in ensuring our happiness. There is always some event going on, a movie playing in Rex’s Lair, a surprise on the cafeteria tables etc. It is clear that traditions (like our Boar’s Head Dinner) are important at Queens and it is refreshing to see that the traditions established in 1857 are still seen today. With just as much enthusiasm, I might add.
     Finally, I want to talk about the student body. At whatever University you attend you will make friends, go out and party and have those late night study sessions. But at Queens, you not only do these things, but also create true bonds with the people around you. I have met so many interesting and unique people at Queens that I hardly know where to begin. The fact is, that everyone here embodies the values of the University. It is wonderful to find such a close-knit student body and I truly look forward to the next year and a half at this prestigious University. THRIVE.

 
I hope you have enjoyed this Blog series and I wish you all the best. Merry Christmas!

Xoxo
-Jenna Buthman

3 comments:

  1. I feel the same about Queens! I love the class size, and I really love the location. Queens is a unique place, and it can definitely get the best of us at times. However, I know that nothing else could replace the times i've had here at Queens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I share your affection for this school. Queens, being that it is such a small school, offers many opportunities. There are also a plethora of campus traditions. Many classes are offered to suit a variety of pasions. A student can really thrive here. The campus is also magical. Sometimes I have to remind myself that I am not attending Hogwarts. This is ever evident when Boars Head is happening in the Young Dining Hall. Many banners are strung around the ceiling. All that is missing is the floating candles. There is also a sense of genunie caring that a vast majority of the students possess. Most people just want to be successful and kind to others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Queens is a great school that offers wonderful programs for their students. Before applying to Queens, I never heard much about the school. All I knew was that it was in a fantastic location and that it offered a small class size. Now that I have attended Queens for three years, I have realized that it is more than the location that Queens has captured many peoples attention. Overall, I would say that Queens is a diamond in the haystack. Its great atmosphere really creates a place for students to want to continue their education.

    ReplyDelete