Monday, December 3, 2012

A State of Trance



     Music. It’s the first thing I turn on in the mornings, it’s the first thing I turn on in my car, it’s even on right now as I type this. However, my preference in music might be a little different than most people. Now don’t get me wrong, I don’t hate on any other style of music; it’s expression and everyone should have that. I’ve been listening to trance, progressive, vocal trance, drum & bass, electronic, etc. All of these sub-genres would fall under Electronic Dance Music, EDM. No, I don’t listen to dubstep. Please don’t mistake dubstep for any of the genres previously listed. I’m not hating on dubstep, I just don’t like how a lot of people mistake it for some other genre - as they all have their own style. Some of the artists I admire are: Above & Beyond, Armin Van Buuren, Super8 & Tab, ATB, Gareth Emery, Sander Van Doorn, Markus Schulz, Mat Zo, and the list could go on including record labels such as: Anjunabeats, which is owned by Above & Beyond, they tend to sign some truly talented artists, Armada, owned by Armin Van Buuren, he also signs some truly amazing artists, also Adrian Raz Recordings, Kontor Records, Euphonic Records, etc.

     Now this passion for EDM music has recently got me into DJ’ing. I thought to myself, if I have a passion for the music I should learn how to DJ. Starting early this year I went all out. I bought Virtual DJ PRO for my mac; virtual DJ in my opinion is one of the better interfaces to use to DJ with. I also started with a small mixer by Numark DJ2GO but recently upgraded since I started to get better to Numark Mixtrack PRO with a built in sound card, enabling me to plug my speakers and headphones into it. I also purchased monitors (speakers) recently; I went with a brand called KRK. From them I purchased two six-inch powered 2-way monitors. It would have been nice to purchase larger ones but I’ve already received some noise complaints at my apartment. Which is okay because I generally play at a few of my friend’s houses. I had headphones at one point in time, they weren’t the best but I’m saving my cash to purchase headphones by Sennheiser. I didn’t really realize how expensive some of this equipment could cost, especially some of the high-end turntables, those are outrageous - maybe one day but for now I’ll settle for the amazing equipment I already have. It feels great to DJ because how how I can create sets to play, knowing what sounds good, challenging myself to get better is always fun too. There is almost a science behind knowing how to mix and what sounds good together, mix-matching tracks running with the same ‘minor’ and then not with the same ‘minor’. All-in-all I love to play the music I have had a passion for ever since I could even remember listening to music!


Look for a video soon...!!!


Krisztian Martin 


No comments:

Post a Comment