Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Oppan Gangnam Style


Oppan Gangnam Style
Gangnam Style
Op op op op oppan Gangnam Style
Gangnam Style
Op op op op oppan Gangnam Style

At first glance you might not recognize these lyrics but after reading them over a second time most would recognize the you tube phenomenon Gangnam style.  South Korean rapper Psy who’s real name is Park Jae-Sang video is now known all across the world.  In October it became the first Korean song ever to top the official UK pop chart.  It was ranked second in the USA behind maroon 5’s one more night. 

        
Psy’s Gangnam style has become the most watched video on you tube.  The Gangnam style video has 2,234,180 views.  This beats LMFAO’S 1,574,963 AND Justin Bieber’s 1,327,427. 

         Gangnam Style has also become popular among celebrities.  Ellen DeGeneres had Psy on her show.  Once on the show Psy taught Ellen and Britney Spears how to do Gangnam Style.  Heidi Klum performed a dance with Psy to Gangnam style during the MTV Europe Music Awards.  And Madona invited him on stage during her tour to dance to the song along with her.

         Psy attended Boston’s Berklee College of Music and grew up near Gangnam South Korea.  When translated Gangnam style is a song about the kind of girl Psy is looking for.  He also describes the kind of guy he is in a verse.  Some of my favorite verses are listed below.

A girl who looks quiet but plays when she plays
A girl who puts her hair down when the right time comes
A girl who covers herself but is more sexy than a girl who bares it all
A sensible girl like that
I’m a guy
A guy who seems calm but plays when he plays
A guy who goes completely crazy when the right time comes
A guy who has bulging ideas rather than muscles
That kind of guy
-Anna Kirwan 

4 comments:

  1. Yes I really love this song! At first I thought it was so stupid but after a couple times hearing it,it really grew on me. I always wondered what he was saying and now that I know I have even more respect for him. Not many rappers would talk about women keeping their clothes on and being respectful. The dance is irresistible. I only hope he doesnt turn out to be another one hit wonder cause I would love to hear more from him and maybe even get another wonderful dance from him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This song is being played all over the world. I know here at Queens we play it during our sports games. Personally, I liked the song until I heard it about 4 or 5 times everyday. I think it is a catchy song but I think it is overplayed now. I don't know how to do the dance but I see alot of people doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never translated the lyrics to this but they are fascinating to read! It's crazy to think of what a sensation this song and Psy has become. I remember a few weeks before school being shown the music video and thinking it was absolutely insane and just a few weeks later it began to take over the country! One of my favorite lines Psy has said is "Dance Classy, Dress Cheesy," now those are some words to live by!

    ReplyDelete
  4. bahahhaahhahahh XD he is so funny. I have a really good friend that she is international student from Korean. She showed me the concert of PSY, it is much cooler than the MV. The audiences are so happy and excited. People that went to his concern said it is funner than the club. People dress up in blue clothes, they will throw the water at the audiences in the concert. Everyone get wet happy and dance crazy. here is link of gangnan style video: http://www.56.com/u29/v_NzI3MTk1MjI.html/880831_chaojiyoumo.html

    ReplyDelete