Saturday, November 3, 2012



The Open Bar.

    I’m not talking about an open bar in terms of alcohol, I’m talking about where I am sitting right now. Can you guess? I’ll give you three hints according to businessinsider.com. The first: the zip code that is the farthest away from one of their locations is in Adak, Alaska where you would need to travel 1,044 miles for their product. Second: There are more than 87,000 possible beverage combinations at this location. Any takers on where I’m sitting? Alright, I’ll give you the last hint if you haven’t already gotten it yet. Third and lastly: The company as a whole uses over 93 million gallons of milk per year, enough to fill 155 Olympic-sized swimming pools. Have you guessed it now?! I’m sitting inside a Starbucks!! But more specifically, I’m sitting at their bar. Have you ever sat there? If you haven’t you should try it sometime. This is where I go to do most of my school work. Sometimes I pop in my earbuds and listen to vocal-less ambient music if I really need to concentrate but for example now, I like to hear the background noise: the chatter from people ordering or speaking to one another, the sound of the milk being frothed, the register opening and closing, and now the sound of the blender mixer up someones frappuccino. You might think I’m crazy but there is one thing about sitting right here that truly infatuates me, it’s the mechanism of everyone working. There are very few businesses you can walk into and see how it all works, this is what I meant by the blog title: The Open Bar. Go sit at the bar the next time you’re in Starbucks, even if it’s only for a few minutes. I could sit here from open to close if I wanted to. Who knows maybe I’ll see you sitting up here sometime....


Krisztian Martin




No comments:

Post a Comment