Tuesday, October 30, 2012

The Best Job Ever



 Horseback riding is something that I have been interested In my entire life.  I started riding when I was five years old and continue to ride to this day.  My mom rode and my grandma also rode.  Therefore it was a given that I would also get into horses.  My grandma calls it the “horse bug”, meaning you either love horses or you’re just not interested in them.  I caught the ”horse bug” and began showing when I was five years old.  At first I just showed walk trot canter then I worked my way up to hunter jumper classes.  Horseback riding is my favorite sport and has been my passion throughout my entire life.  When I stopped going to horse shows I got a job working on a horse farm so that I could continue to be around horses.  During this job I have learned so much about farm management and how to care for horses. 

            What I love most about my job is, when I’m not doing farm work like cleaning stalls or feed buckets I am able to ride my horse.  My horse is named Moon River and I have had him since he was a baby.  Moon River’s mother was my mom’s horse Tiffany.  My mom rode Tiffany throughout high school and college and when Tiffany was too old to be ridden we bread her to a stallion named Indian Artifacts.  My coworker Jess who is a very talented horseback rider helped me work with moon in order to train him.  I was so proud the summer after my senior year when we won grand champion at the horse show. 

The other people I work with include Devon and Logan two boys who are my age who now go to Ohio State, and Miami of Ohio.  Logan’s younger brother Bronson also works at the farm when Logan is away at school.  Wendell and Amy also work and live at the farm.  My mom met Amy in college and the two have been best friends since then.  I love everyone I work with mainly because it has been the same group of people since junior year of high school.  I am very close to my farm family and love when I come home from school and we have family dinners.  It reminds me of the summer when we would have farm family field trips.  This is when we take half of a day off work and go do something fun.  One year we went canoeing and another year we went wakeboarding.  I love my job at the farm and truly believe it is the best job ever. 
-Anna 


5 comments:

  1. I like how you focused on the positive aspects of this and that you enjoy it. My sister rides horses (and worked at a barn), and her experience was much the same. To work at a place you love is the best type of job one can have, because it's enjoyable even when you're working. Working with friends is the next best thing since then even if the location isn't great at least you have people there you associate with while working. Finding both makes for the best job ever, I like how you put it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed reading this because I've never known anyone who rode horses! Just from watching competitions on tv, riding looked hard but rewarding. I never got into the sport because I was scared of horses. It was really bad when I was a child because there were such big animals. I think it's so cool that your whole family has this history of horses. It seems like it really connected 3 generations of daughters. Plus, you had some great pictures! It's really refreshing to read about someone who loves their job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I was in China, I haven't get a chance to ride horse because I was living in a big city. It is not easy to have horse around. But after I come to United States, I met a friend named Olive. Her dad own a farm and they own couple of horse. They were so sweet to let me ride on it. It was so amazing, my first horse riding. They were so kind. Love American. Love horse riding.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This article truly reflects the power of connections. Networking with the right people leads to success. This also pertains to the horses breeding with horses that will lead to good results. Also working with horses and knowing how to do barn work instills a good work ethic. I used to help someone out at her barn and take care of a horse. There is no stronger bond than one that you make with your horse.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes horses are great and I hope that one day one of my kids will like to ride. My grandma always makes the comment that she has 10 grandchildren and is thankful that at least one of them likes to ride horses. I feel like doing hard farm work from such a young age has helped me become the person I am today. I feel like if my mom didn't have me cleaning stalls as an eighth grade girl i would be a lot more prissy.
    -Anna

    ReplyDelete