Monday, October 29, 2012

Game Day in SEC Country

For fall break I decided that I was going to go home to Gainesville, Florida. It just so happened that while I was home for break, the Florida Gators played South Carolina in football. The Gators were ranked second in the country and South Carolina was ranked ninth.
If you aren’t aware, and you should be if you’ve had Dr. Neale for class, game day at Florida Field, affectionately known as the Swamp, is something special. I had been excited about the game for weeks. This was supposed to be South Carolina’s year to make it big and go to the national championship. This was another rebuilding year for Florida, until they went 6-0 and defeated several ranked teams.
ESPN’s College Gameday had come to Gainesville, choosing this game as the best game in the entire country. The game was at 3:30 so I got to my tailgate at 9 AM. I started tailgating at 10; there was a lot of food but more importantly many more drinks. I had a good time at the pregame party, and then the game started and my brother and I headed into the stadium.  
The pregame video on the big screen TV hypes up all 90,000 fans. Everyone is cheering and then the team runs into the field and things get on another level.
                Florida began by kicking off to South Carolina. On the first play of the game, their quarterback, Connor Shaw, was sacked, fumbled the ball, and Florida recovered on the 2 yard line. Jeff Driskel, Florida’s quarterback, threw a touchdown on the following play and the tone was set. Florida was winning 21-3 at halftime and by the end of the game the score was 44-11.
 

The story doesn’t end there though, after the game I met up with some friends who go to UF and we went to celebrate the victory at their apartment. Our celebration didn’t end till 4 or 5 in the morning. I would say that it was a pretty good senior year fall break. I got to see old friends, watch the Gators kick butt against the Gamecocks and celebrate the victory.


10 comments:

  1. Your trip to Gainesville sounds awesome. I too went and visited a bigger school during fall break and went to a game. I visited Clemson who was playing VT and it was a blast. It really makes you realize what your missing out on at Queens, but honestly I don't know if I could handle staying up until 5 in the morning all the time. I enjoyed reading about your trip and it sounded like a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately I did not have the pleasure of traveling over fall break, but I was able to watch the game on tv. There is nothing like being in a stadium with almost 100,000 fans and you are with your buddies living care free for a while. This can be both relaxing and intense. I'm glad to hear that your fall break of senior year exceeded your expectations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always wanted to go to a University of Florida game at the swamp. I've been to about 5 South Carolina football games at Williams Brice and theres nothing like SEC football. It's insane to be in a place where there is close to 80,000 people going crazy over a game. Your trip sound awesome and I bet you'll be going back whenever you get that opportunity. Florida lost this weekend to Georgia but i'm sure they'll still be able to turn it around and have a great season.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to preface this by saying I am a Georgia fan. I've always wanted to go to the UGA vs Florida game but I've never had the opportunity. From your description, the swamp, sounds like a wonderful place to have a football game. Of course you're going to describe it in the nicest way possible because you are a Florida fan. The funny thing is that the only descriptions I've ever heard, besides yours, of the swamp have come from my brothers, who all hate Florida. Its always fun watching your team win and I was actually rooting for Florida in this particular game.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As a Gamecock fan this was a sad day for us. Going into the game I really had no idea what to expect from the Gators, but they definitely showed up ready to play. The swamp sounds like a lot of fun, but I must say I love game days the William-Brice stadium or "The Cock-Pit".

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like quite the fall break my friend! Being from Canada i have never watched an NFL football game or an NCAA football game in person. Would not mind tailgating bright and early, watching a HUGE game in what sounds like a fantastic stadium and chillin out with some friends after words. I hope that over my next 2 and a half years in America i will get to watch an exciting football match. Thanks for the insight on what it is like! Great post about what sounds like a great break!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have to begin by stating that your post just bleeds browner points for Dr. Neale, Calvin! Haha. Regardless, your trip to Florida sounds eventful over Fallbreak, and the game sounds like it would have been a good one to go to. Definitely wish I would have taken you up on your offer. Next time, no doubt. I do have one question though. Why is the stadium called "the swamp?" Is it because it is surrounded by swamps/lagoons? I'm sure a simple Google search would solve this for me. But I would rather have the good ol' Calvin explanation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's admirable that you got to go to "The Swamp", mainly because you get to suck in the ambiance of the truly College Gameday experience, complete with the talking heads from ESPN. Either way, that does sound like something I need to do.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds like quite the trip! My football watching consists of the superbowl. I've always been okay with that but you're description of the atmosphere at a game seems like something I should eventually experience. Moving from New York to North Carolina for school I've realized just how much of a big deal football is. I honestly didn't realize how many people care about the sport. I couldn't even tell you what the college football team in my area is called. It might be the bulls? Or the Tigers? Maybe? Sorry diehard football fans! However, you're fall break sounds like it was tons of fun as you got to experience a great win with your entire hometown!

    ReplyDelete
  10. sounds like a pretty sick weekend there man. Ive always wanted to hit up a SEC game. Thats the one thing i miss about charlotte and queens, no big college football around the area, and the only pro football team sucks!


    cj

    ReplyDelete