Thursday, November 8, 2012

Halloween





Once a year it is not only acceptable but considered strange if one does not dress up in a ridiculous costume and go door to door asking for candy.  This day of the year is called Halloween, and falls on October 31st every year.  If one ever tried to go door to door asking for candy on any other night, dressed up in a ridiculous costume it would just be considered weird.  But on Halloween it is perfectly acceptable and admired.  I feel as if Halloween costumes vary depending on age.  I remember when I was really little I would carefully walk from door to door clutching my mom’s hand afraid to leave her side.  As I got older I became more daring and I remember going house to house by myself for the first time with all my friends.  I was a little nervous at first but it was fun and I got a lot more candy because I was able to go to more houses considering the fact that I didn’t have to wait on my younger sister.  A few years later me and a few friends stayed at my house to hand out candy while my parents went trick or treating with my little brothers and sisters.  This became a fun tradition for me and my high school friends.  We would pass out candy on Halloween then go to the big Halloween party the following weekend.   College Halloween is similar to high school Halloween except I wasn’t living in a house so I didn’t pass out candy on the 31st.  This Halloween has probably been my favorite.  Because I am now 21 I was able to participate in the bar crawl downtown I didn’t start at noon like some of my friends but I did go at 8 and then go to gravediggers ball.  I am now excited to hand out candy from my own apartment just like I did while growing up.   
-Anna Kirwan

No comments:

Post a Comment