Thursday, September 20, 2012


Apples will say “bye bye DVDs”

Yup I said it, adios DVDs. It’s going to happen sooner or later so you better get with the times! You might think I’m mad, maybe I am, maybe I’m not, but I honestly believe we will see a drift away from people purchasing DVDs. Why you ask... Well let me explain.

First, let me just say thank you to Apple for sparking this craziness I visualize. When the ultra-thin MacBook Air debuted some people were outraged from the absence of a CD/DVD-Drive. Who listens to CDs anymore anyways.. really who does? Don’t worry, we’ll touch base on CDs here too. Back to the point, people questioned why! I respond with, WHY NOT! Who needs DVDs anymore when you can download High Definition (HD) movies on iTunes ranging anywhere from ten to twenty dollars. Then, I can take the HD movie I bought off iTunes and stream it to my HDTV via Apple TV. Wait, I can also sync the HD movie to/from my iPhone or my iPad. Why should I buy DVDs anymore? They take up space, get lost all the time, generally get scratched, and when someone ends up borrowing one of my DVDs I usually don’t get it back.



I’m not going to lie, I am an Apple fanatic. Just think about how they continuously change the market #innovationFTW. Take a look at what Apple did to the CD market, I honestly can’t remember when the last time was I played a CD let alone bought one. It seems now everyone plays music off their iPod, iPhone, or another smartphone like the Samsung Galaxy S III #billiondollarlawsuit.. Either way, look what Apple did with the spike of MP3 players; virtually all smartphones having MP3 capability, heck not just even smartphones but cars having an MP3 hookup or iPhone USB connection. It’s crazy if you really start thinking about how Apple has changed the market, it’s innovation at the finest. And that’s why I believe DVDs will become obsolete in the near future.

Krisztian Martin


8 comments:

  1. I understand your position on this situation but come one! The world can't really get rid of DVD's just yet. Our society is tech savvy but we are not that advanced yet! What about the people who can't afford the $10,000 Mac book the $200 ipod or the $600 Ipad. I think to say we will not use Dvd's is a little stretch. Being able to download music has done a lot of harm as far as piracry goes. I do believe in the future we may rely on cd's and dvd's less but definately not any time soon! Providers always have to consider all people and all incomes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand your point of view on CDs/DVDS. Yes, modern times allows people to listen to music and watch movies/videos without al the scratched disks. However, there are certain things that people just like to keep traditional or Old School. For example, though we have MP3, CDs and whatnot, there are those who still cherish their record players. Another example: I would rather buy a physical book than to download it on a Kindle or whatever. I like the traditional smell of a new book, the excitement of touching untouched pages, having a bookmark, seeing how much of the book i have to go, and keep the book in my possession for as long as it can hold out. So, I guess the whole "modern technology" era is good in some ways and bad in others.

    -Aniyah (Yasmeen) Pendleton

    ReplyDelete
  3. Apple has changed the music and video market indeed but for selfish reasons. Not everyone can afford to buy Apple products. I love my iPhone but it's costly. Do not break it or lose it because it will cost you big time! Most new cars have bluetooth capability, but do we really need to buy a new car in order to play music from our iPod? Again costly investment! I have 40 CDs from the past twenty years. I love my CDs. I do not have the time to download each CD onto my computer to save into iTunes. That is what Apple is asking the older generation to do. As for DVDs, I would like to download all my DVDs onto a flash drive or iTunes account. The only problem is TIME...... I own at least 100 DVDS. My question to you is "Apple is making it difficult for other companies to continue to service an older generation, who still has CDs and DVDs". Businesses are going out of business because younger generations do not buy DVDs or CDs. Apple needs to lower their prices and give free webinars to show older generations how to download their old CDs and DVDs onto iTunes. Finally, What about iCloud? Another cost..... I love Apple products but with frustration and too much money.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is very interesting to think how Apple really did completely eliminate CD's from our everyday use. This makes it seem very likely that DVD's will suffer a similar fate. I believe that people are constantly looking for what's easier for them. The idea of never having to go to a store to buy or rent a DVD again sounds like a pretty good plan for the typical American. Apple has a very large influence on people. Their constant way of remodeling how people use technology is a great way to keep people interested in everything that they do. If Apple continues this revolution against DVD's, I believe that it is only a matter of time before they become a thing of the past.

    Mike Reed

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember many years ago when a lot of my friends started using mp3 players. I thought it was hysterical simply because I didn't believe in it and thought it was going to be a huge failure, how could anyone abandon CDs? About a year later I was sitting there with my very own Ipod and had no idea why I had ever bought CDs.. Therefore, I completely understand what you are saying, however, I still feel the same way I did when mp3 players started to sell. I don't know if our society is ready to completely abandon DVDs, although we are definitely moving toward a future where we will not rely on them as much as we have.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally agree with you. CDs are not as popular as they use to be and DVDs will soon be gone as well. The only reason I still have CDs is because in my car that is the only music I can play while on the road. I still buy DVDs but technology is advancing so much to the point where we will not need them. They will still be around because not everyone can afford the Apple items but I do see them going away very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do not know if i agree with you fully, but i do believe that DVDs will soon be gone. I am not saying that i think they will be gone because of Apple but i do believe that Blu-Ray has played a role in this as well. You are definitely right about the CD world changing completely . Apple came out with the Ipod and its been history since i have had a CD. YI would agree on some things and not so much of the other.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can see the trend emerging where we rely less on physical copies of things and more on computer files. Honestly, i'm not sure I like it. I use iTunes daily but there is something special about holding a cd in your hand. Looking through the cover sleeve is personal to me. Excuse what i'm about to say (I am risking sounding like someone's grandma) but I don't trust technology. I like using it everyday but I don't trust my computer not to crash. I think Apple is good at backing up files but what if I loose my music because I was too lazy to save it elsewhere. I just see money wasted. Every piece of technology will someday be obsolete. I'm just trying to enjoy it while I can.

    ReplyDelete