Thursday, November 11, 2010

Digital Mania

            What media devices do you carry around with you on any given day? I took a personal inventory just to try and find some gauge on how I was doing in this digital age of communication.
 First and most important is the phone. Although the latest models have impressive names to match numbers and capabilities, it’s still a phone. Or, is it? Mine keeps me connected to the important people in my life and on time. It is set up for automatic speech recognition, Bluetooth and GPS navigation. I can text, e-mail, take pictures and download games. It also has the ability to access the web and data services. An upcoming assignment will require posting our writing by phone to our blog site giving us real world applications through high tech media skills.                                                         
As a staff writer for The Queens Chronicle my digital audio recorder is always on hand. It can transfer files to my computer for storage and quick transcribing of the best quotes to send to Googledocs for my editor’s approval. My back-up digital recorder, however, cannot do this. It’s all manual.
Another important item is my digital camera. I’m told it can also do video. I guess it is time to break out the manual. My second digital camera is used for back-up when batteries fade.
My PC lap top is too clumsy to carry around. And, although I really have a lot of alternative sources to Web browse, for Christmas I’m putting an Apple on my wish list.
 -Julie Post





3 comments:

  1. its crazy how there is a piece of technology to suit any need that you may have nowadays.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never took the time to count the number of devices that I carry around; however, I have quite a few. Twenty years ago, half of these things weren't even around. Though we say it all the time, technology truly is a wonder!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too have many digital gadgets, and each one serves a specific purpose. My blackberry, my camera, my mac laptop, and my ipod. I have these on me usually 100% of the time. I honestly wouldn't know what to do without them! It is crazy for me to imagine being my parents when they were my age. They didn't even have a cell phone?! I couldn't even tell you what my favorite or most important gadget is because I love them all and use them pretty equally. It is hard to think about how far we have come as a digital society!

    ReplyDelete