Monday, October 25, 2010

Stolen Laptops


Apparently in Sweden, a professor was in his apartment and was in a rush to do some laundry before returning to his apartment. He set his backpack with his laptop behind a door. After doing his laundry he noticed that his backpack was no longer there. A few minutes later he checked behind the door again where he left it and his bag was there except with no laptop inside it. About a week later, he gets an envelope with a USB drive in it. The thief had backed up all of his information and sent it to him. Not all people are lucky enough to have their laptop stolen and the thief gives them an anonymous backup. The moral of the story, don’t leave your laptop and other valuables laying around. 600,000 laptops are stolen in airports each year. If your hard drive fails or if your laptop is stolen, then you won’t be losing all of your hard work. Also there is a program that you install on your laptop called LoJack for laptops. It will track where your laptop is in the event that it is stolen. I have just recently started backing up my computers with an external hard drive. They are not very expensive and can save you from losing all of your information. 

-Clay Chapman


4 comments:

  1. Thats unbelievable! 600,000 laptops stolen is a large amount! I am making sure that my laptop is chained to my desk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think being on a college campus, this has become a serious issue. I know someone who had their laptop stolen the very first day of move in, their freshman year. They had there door open moving all their stuff in, and went to their car to get another load, came back and there laptop was gone, along with their roommates. It is extremely important to be cautious of your surroundings and not leave anything of valuable importance out in the open.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a friend have her lap top stolen from her apartment. Someone broke in her bedroom window in the middle of the day and took her laptop and digital camera. As unlucky as this was, her windows and doors were locked, but that clearly doesn't stop a persistent thief. 600,000 laptops a year is a lot, and in airports alone. With heightened security you'd think this would fall under a resolved issue. You can bet I'll be keeping an eye on my lap top, or just not taking it with me at all. It seems I can do just as much on my phone as I can my laptop, and it's much easier to carry a Blackberry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow -- never have I heard of a story where the thief sends the victim his or her information backed up. But, honestly, it's the professor fault for being careless and irresponsible. My laptop crashed last month, and I haven't been able to fully trust it since. To my surprise, when you commented and said external hard drives were not very expensive, it started to make me think about investing in one.

    ReplyDelete