Tuesday, October 19, 2010

In Remembrance of...


              I came across an event invitation on facebook a few days ago encouraging people to wear purple on Wednesday , October 20 in support of the recent suicides of the six homosexual boys.  Unfortunately, these young people took their own lives due to their inability to fathom the hatred that their peers displayed towards them.  The most recent suicide occurred a few weeks ago at Rutgers University, where a young man killed himself after his roommate posted a video of the guy engaging in sexual relations with another guy.  As I followed the link to the support page I saw six innocent faces of the victims who no longer have the privilege of life.  I began to skim through some of the comments that people left on the wall.  Many people left messages to comfort the victims’ families.  However, I was appalled to also find several negative comments. 

People actually had the audacity to leave cruel and nasty comments on a page that is dedicated to supporting these victims and possibly other homosexual youth who may be feeling victimized.   Immediately, my heart began to race as tears came to my eyes.  I’ve never necessarily considered myself an advocate for homosexuality, because it’s simply not my preference; however, I understand that homosexuality is an individual’s choice.  Just because you don’t share similar sexual orientations with another person does not give you the right torture and victimize others.  This includes the theme of differences in general.  People are made to be different.  We each have our own opinions and preferences, and others will not always agree with them.  Because we have the freedom to be different, should we not also respect others who have different opinions and preferences as well?

                Regardless of my different orientation, I will be wearing purple on October 20 to support victims of homosexual abuse.  Lives have been lost over people’s inability to simply acknowledge that difference will be forever present.

-Brittani Hunter


1 comment:

  1. I think that it is extremely sad that so many people are closed minded and judgmental. People must realize that if everyone tries a little bit harder to be understanding, tragic events such as this would be less common.

    ReplyDelete