Friday, October 26, 2012

History In The Making


Has anyone of my readers or fellow bloggers ever been a part of history?  Anyone ever broken an individual or team record of sorts?  What about scoring an all time low on making your career high on an exam?  For those who have, I’m sure you can agree that the feeling is pretty sweet.  You feel a sense of accomplishment and your confidence and “swagger” rises dramatically.  It really is one good feeling
Well, luckily enough for me I was a part of a historical Queens golf round last weekend down in West Palm Beach for The University of Nova Southeastern’s invitational.  We played a course by the name of PGA national, home of the annual PGA tour event, the Honda Classic.  For college golf, each team selects 5 men to travel and each round, usually 3, take the top 4 scores.  A typical day for a college golf team would be in-between 290-300.
Our first 2 rounds were a struggle for the team as well as myself shooting a 305 and 303.  With the stiff competition we faced at this awesome event, we were sitting in 12th of 15 team going into Tuesdays 3rd and final round.  Monday night all the guys did pretty much  what we’ve gotten used to this year, cleaning and packing so after another average final round we didn’t have to wait to get back in our coach bus for this trips 13 hour drive.  Little did we know that this next round would be our best, ever.
All guys did their usual pre round warm up to get ready for the round.  Putting and stretching and hitting were all done in various orders.  We got carted out to the holes we started on and just so happened the 3 holes that we were starting on was the toughest 3 hole stretch on the course.  It was going to be a good start.  Our 2 coaches do a good job keeping us updated on how the other guys are doing.  We knew that we were having a pretty good day pretty much the other round.  However, those who know golf know that a bad hole is bound to happen, especially on a course this hard.
Par on PGA national was 72, which is standard, making 288 an even par and really good round.  As the round concluded, 4 of our 5 guys had shot under par, guaranteeing us that our round was going to be below 288.  We found out soon after that we had shot a combined 279, 9 under par and a Queens record all time record.  We jumped up from 12th to 6th and beat some of the best teams in the country.  279 was also the low round of the tournament.
If I’m venting a little too much, forgive me or go read another post, but this round was pretty special.  I was proud of my guys and it was fun to see the reactions of people once they found out what we shot.  It was my all-time low team score to be a part of.  It was a cool feeling.

Thanks for reading, show my team some love.



CJ

4 comments:

  1. While I have only "birdied" a couple of holes in my entire life, I almost know how you feel. Over the summer, my cousins and I played a scramble round for a grand prize of $10,000 (... OK, $20) on a crappy little golf course in Alabama. I usually miss the ball completely on 3 out of 10 shots, but today was a good day. My partner and I both played our best rounds ever and combined to win by 10 strokes. It is rather sad though, because I believe that we are all awarded a certain amount of lucky shots by the Golf Gods for our entire lives, and I literally used all of mine in one day. I can't even stand to tee-off with my friends behind me, so major kudos to you and your team for being able to keep calm under serious pressure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on such an accomplishment! I can only imagine your feelings of elation knowing you were part of something so record breaking! I know the feeling of packing and cleaning ahead of time, it's depressing to know that it's the end of an adventure whether it goes your way or not. I'm so glad that after getting ready to leave you all brought your best game and had an amazing day of golf. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quite the accomplishment for the Royals Golf Team! Very proud of what you boys accomplished especially on a course as tough as PGA National! Love the description of the somber mood heading into the third round after 2 mediocre first rounds. Sometimes when you do not expect it, great things can happen and that final round of 279 was most definitely great! Solid final round of 69 Craig!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Considering I know nothing of Golf, I would say that my knowledge of the sport just increased by reading your post, Cj. Congrats to the mens Golf team on the success. I do know exactly what you're talking about when you do something extatic and it feels like you're on top of the world. That's somehow how I felt this past Summer at my internship in London, it was a very fulfilling experience knowing that my hard work got me to where I was.

    ReplyDelete