Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Giddy-Up


     Last semester I had the amazing opportunity to fill my PE credit with Horse Back riding!  I had ridden before but I’d never taken official lessons.  Walking up to the stables, the first thing that hits you is the smell.  It’s flipping nasty! You get used to it after a while, but sometimes it will waft past you, and boy it is unpleasant.

     Anyway, once you get past the smell you are shown around the grounds.  You first learn about the different types of saddles, the bit, the stirrups, the bridle, as well as how to groom your horse.  Once you have mastered these skills you are ready to hop up on your horse!

     It’s a little scary at first.  You are high up in the air; your stirrups are your only “seatbelt” and your sitting on top of an animal that has a mind of its own.  Again, you slowly get used to it and eventually you are standing up in your stirrups, making figure eights, and weaving in and out between cones.

     The next level is learning to Trot.  It’s basically a simple 1, 2, rhythm.  Every time the horse goes up, you stand up into your stirrups.  It is really fun!  The final thing that I got the chance to learn during the semester was how to Canter.

     For me, Cantering was very fast and very scary.  But once I had the rhythm down and hopped on the right horse, I began to slowly come to love it.

     Overall, Horse Back Riding classes were one of the best experiences of my life.  It is so peaceful and enjoyable.  I loved being in the outdoors, creating bonds with the horses and my fellow riders, and learning a skill that I hope to cultivate over time.

Until Next Time,
Jenna Buthman

7 comments:

  1. Horses are mystical creatures. They can feel your fear or your joy. Riding through a pasture with the sunlight on your face can be a memorable experience. Feeling the wind against your body as you canter down a hill. Horses are beautiful with their hair coloring or muscle structure. They are gentle but powerful. My son has cerebral palsy. He has been riding horses since he was 4 yrs. old. Therapeutic riding has proven to be effective for my son. After riding for 2 years he started to walk independently. I believe his horse "Muffin" felt his soul and was gentle with my son. Watching special needs children ride horses gives me inspiration. These horses know these children need them and the horses respond with gentleness. I love horses and respect them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your comment! I had no idea that horses are used as a therapeutic means for people with cerebral palsy, but I find it absolutely brilliant! Horses are loving creatures and I agree 100% with you that they can sense your fear or joy. I truly believe that once you have gotten to know your horse there is a special bond created. For children, like your son, this bond sounds like something out of a fairytale. It is beautiful and glorious and I hope that your son continues to prosper and deepen his connection with Muffin.
      Jenna :)

      Delete
  2. It has been several years since I rode a horse and the smell is a bit... well you get the point. Riding is fun, once you get the hang of it. I will never forget that first riding experience. We went on a group ride and I had a child with me and he talk so much, I think it made the horse a little upset.

    Getting on the horse is another challenge, I never realized that they are very high off the ground. Like you mention, riding is peaceful and the bond with the horse is there it can be an enjoyable ride.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blog had me at "Giddy-Up". I love horses and have always wished I were a horse back rider. My grandfather races horses professionally, and has done so his whole life. My father grew up working in the stables at the young age of eight. I grew up finding a love for all animals, particularly specializing in the safety for them all. So with that in mind, I was always curious how these race horses were treated. I love my grandfather and know he would never hurt his horses, they're like his adopted babies, but how can he ensure the people who ride them aren't hurtful? This was the significance to having my father, along with his three siblings, growing up in the stables. He only ever raced four at a time, hence his number of children. My father, along with my aunts and uncle, would accompany the horses wherever they were. The best part was when I would get to ride them for fun, of course. The height factor always intimidated me a little bit, worrying about them accidently jolting me off, but all in all I always felt safe being they were my grandfathers. I enjoyed your post because if it wasn't obvious enough already, it struck a memory for me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Horses have always been my favorite animal. I begged for riding lessons as a young girl but the closest I got was pony rides at fairs. A few summers ago I finally got the chance to ride. I went on a trail ride in the Sawtooth Mountains in Idaho. It was incredibly terrifying. Like you said, being on an animal with it's own mind and will is scary. It takes time to learn to trust the horse and become comfortable with their movements. Once that task is accomplished, which is much harder than it sounds, riding is quite enjoyable. Your story has me hoping to take horseback riding as one of my p.e. classes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I couldn't agree more with your statement about horseback riding being peaceful. My mother's best friend from high school owns a horse ranch. Ever since I was little, we would visit them twice a year; once in the spring and once in the fall. It was glorious getting to ride Mama or King (the two oldest and gentle horses) at a canter around their property. I agree with you when you say that the first time is scary though because for me, at 6 years old, it was terrifying but I love it and wouldn't trade it for a thing. The rush you get from being that high up, seeing everything from a new perspective, is breathtaking.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so jealous! I hope I can take that class. I used to be obsessed with horses. Do you remember the show "The Saddle Club"? I think it was on PBS or something. It made me want to take up horse-back riding so badly! I love animals and it seems so peaceful. My mom couldn't find a place for me to take lessons near-by though, so I never learned. I really want to take that class (and meet my physical education requirements-two birds with one stone!) but I'm a little paranoid. As you mentioned, it's scary being up that high!

    ReplyDelete