Tuesday, October 16, 2012

101 of Dining Out


I have had it! There should be a manual people read before dining out, because honestly some people have absolutely no common sense nor do they have a shred of respect. This blog post will be different, it might sound like a rant, and if it does I sincerely apologize but after my third IPA this is the only thing I could think about writing about at the moment.

First, we will start with a few things NOT to do at the beginning of your dining experience:

- Don’t start talking to me about your problems; I don’t care that you’ve had a bad day. You think you had a bad day, I’m here listening to your bad day and I’m not even getting paid for it. Please go see a therapist, I don’t get paid enough for your problems.
- Once I’ve greeted you, the proper response would be a friendly response, such as, hi, how are you? not dike coke, or what soups do you have today? This is a not a great way to establish a relationship with your waiter.
- If you are the first one to arrive from your party of six, don’t tell me you have five more coming. I’m not blind nor stupid. Thanks captain obvious.
- Don’t tell me you’re ready to order and then ask me 30 questions, there are hungry children to feed at the table next to you, Tom needs another remoulade sauce, and Kevin has blown down six diet cokes in ten minutes.
- Don’t look at my crouch when asking for a straw, it makes me feel weird. Also, carrying straws in an apron is considered unsanitary; you’d love to know what kind of miscellaneous particles I find in my apron at the end of the shift.
- Never say “they did it for us last time”. I’ve worked here for three years and I have never seen you here. Also, I don’t wear this uniform because I’m in a fan club or anything.. Just ask, I’m sure “they” will do it for you.

Now, here are some things your shouldn’t do during the middle of your dining experience;

- Slow down on the diet coke Kevin.....
- I clearly didn’t cook your food, so I’m sorry if Juan overcooked your steak.
- If you have more than four allergies, you should probably consider staying at home and cooking for yourself.
- NEVER call me buddy, chief, bro, sweetheart, or any variation of those words. I have a name, if you want to know it simply ask.
- A well done steak takes at least 15 minutes, just to let you know.
- If you don’t tranquilize your children I will.
- Never raise your hand. We aren’t in school but if you continue to misbehave I will put you in time out.

Finally, for the end of your dining experience:

- You’re not at cracker barrel, you pay me, not at the front.
- Tip is required, if you don’t have any money for tip please stay at home, enough said.
- Automatic gratuity for large parties is company policy, not mine, get with it.
- Don’t eat your food and then tell me you didn’t like it. Let’s be realistic here, you shouldn’t force yourself to eat something you don’t like...
- Using ten splendas for one iced tea is unhealthy.
- Not every restaurant offers free dessert for birthdays, even air at gas stations isn’t free, get used to things not being free. Don’t make it awkward for me please.
- Please try to at least clean up a little after your children or next time call a babysitter, no one wants to deal with the aftermath little Timmy left behind.
- Never ever come in within ten minutes of closing, you will be glared at until you leave.
- And please, if we’ve been closed for over an hour and you’re within the walls of our establishment and I can’t go home, I will personally find where you work and make your work life a living hell.


Well, I hope everyone enjoyed my fun tips for dining out. I’m sorry if anyone found any of this offensive, if you did, I’m sorry but at least now you know! :)

Krisztian Martin



8 comments:

  1. Everything you just said in your post could not be more true. Being a waitress myself at a place in the city, its amazing what kind of people we can run into. Now don't get me wrong we can run into some very nice people and maybe even make some connections. But there will always be the people durning your shift that makes you want to quit your job. Im glad that someone else gets how I feel some days of the week after work. You have whole new appreciation for people in the food service industry after you spend sometime as a waiter.

    Stephanie Yocum

    ReplyDelete
  2. Krisztian, it's called etiquette, etiquette, and more etiquette. People do not consider others anymore. Those days are long gone. When people are dining out, they are expecting service and whatever they are paying for is what they expect you to give. They view you as part of that service. This is something you have to learn to put behind you, and give them (people) the proper service and keep it moving. I would not lease time on their "issues." Its not worth the rent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Finally someone had the nerve to say it! I've worked at 5 different food establishments; my favorite being at the beach. It is so unbelievably frustrating when I get yelled at by a customer for someone completely out of my control. The common issues are "my food is cold." or "Why did the seagull take my food?" Well maybe if you had come and gotten your food when I called your name ten minutes ago it would still be hot. And the seagulls? Why'd you let it take your food. You're at a beach. At this point, you should know to keep an eye out for seagulls and if you think we're going to replace your personal food that you brought because a seagull took it while you were swimming? THEY AREN'T OUR SEAGULLS! Hide it next time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG! The seagull thing made me laugh so hard. I couldn't even imagine how I would handle that situation, I would probably just walk away lol. That reminds me of when I have guests on the patio and they want me to control the weather, sure let me get right on that for you. I think this is why I work behind the bar now because I feel the people that dine at the bar are somewhat different than those who dine on the floor. I don't have to deal with that much BS... emphasis on the phrase "that much" lol

      Krisztian

      Delete
  4. This blog is rather entertaining. Honestly, these are the wonderful pleasures of dealing with customers, unfortunately. Some people honestly don't have common courtesy and respect when it comes to dinning out. People can be extremely rude and inconsiderate, making their waiter or waitress more uneasy and uncomfortable about that particular experience. I completely understand where you're coming and wish that I could do something about it. If it makes you feel better, I have great manners when dinning out, and I believe I tip pretty well for a college student.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah, well thank you for having manners. But it's not college students, elders, young business professionals, you can't point a finger at it. You'd be surprised who some of the behavior comes from sometimes, when you least expect it too.

      Delete
  5. I work at a restaurant as well and I completely understand where you are coming from. However, at the end of the day, it is your job! I don't know about your boss, but mine is a firm believer of the customer is always right, no matter how annoying. We all wish that people would be a little more considerate but don't expect it. The blog was very entertaining but you sound a little bitter lol! Hope you have better times at work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with your statements. It is a shame that people do not use common courtesy. it really is not that hard to be polite. When dining out it is important to be patient. This is a fine establishment not a fast food joint. People should learn to be cleaner and just more polite. The golden rule always stands of treating others the way in which you wish to be treated. I believe if you want good service then you need to be polite and friendly to the server. Service goes both ways. Tipping is always something that should be done. To the people that are shocked when dining out with a party of 5 more and the gratuity is included, they must be living under a rock if they are shocked by this. People should also have certain expectations for varied types of establishments. For diners, the service is very personal and the vibe is more casual. In a more expensive eatery, you can get to know your waiter or waitress quite well if you visit the place enough and if you always tip well. Compliment with kind words and a good tip.

    ReplyDelete