Tuesday, November 2, 2010

We're All Liars.

                 Of all human characteristics a person can possess, honesty is situated on or around the top of the list.  Ask a person what is the most important quality they look for in a member of the opposite sex.  Honesty is a front-runner.  People in general yearn for truth and honesty; for the feeling of being lied to or betrayed is something we all wish we could avoid.  Oddly enough, we place honesty on such a high pedestal, yet we’re all liars. 
               
Lying can range from exaggeration, to sugar-coating the truth, to flat out making up gloriously false lies.  Sometimes we lie to make ourselves look good.  Other times, we lie to “protect” the feelings of people we love.  We live in world where genuine honesty is seemingly non-existent.  This doesn’t sit well with me at all.  Like everyone else, I’ve lied on more than one occasion.  However, looking back on some of the things I lied about throughout my life, I realize how telling the truth would have made things much more manageable.  I’ve dedicated myself to making a conscious effort to avoid lying.  What I find most helpful is avoiding situations in which I may have to lie about down the road, a.k.a. making wiser decision in general. 

What about when someone we love asks us a question, and we know that revealing the truth may hurt?  Take a deep breath, breath, and reveal the truth.  You may hurt others’ feelings; however, that person will probably respect you for telling the truth as opposed to catching you in a lie.  Just like lying, the more you tell the truth, the better you’ll become at it.

I’m curious.  Why do you lie? Do you think you’re ever justified to lie?  How can you stop lying?

-Brittani Hunter

No comments:

Post a Comment