Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Technology Consuming our Lives?

Admit it, it's seemingly impossible to live without technology. Many of us cannot even fathom the thought of not being able to glance at our cell phones for a whole hour. With newer, and more improved pieces of technology released everyday that can replace our old products or eliminate the need for them all-together, how can you not grow addicted? Cell phone companies, in particular, are in a constant competition to produce the latest smart phones that can house more apps than imaginable.  Each app jars a specific window of our attention.  Allowed to customize our phones with our favorite apps, we pretty much guarantee ourselves a ticket out of any instance of boredom.  Phones now-a-days can provide us an infinite amount of pleasure, and the beauty of it is the freedom we have to edit settings to continually customize what satisfies our attention.

                
Since it's inevitable that we'll even consider removing these devices from our lives, are we able to establish a healthy balance between our technological worlds and reality?  I can't count how many  times I've went to dinner with my family and observed other families whose children or spouses were texting away, paying minimal attention to their meal or the simple fact that they were having family time.  Attending sporting events is all about seeing the game live, and getting the "I was actually there" experience.  Why let texting, and compulsive itches to revisit facebook every few minutes ruin that time?  Besides, you spent all of your money to get those incredible seats!  Enjoy the moment.

            So even I admit it, I am guilty of not always balancing my time between technology and reality; however, I am taking steps towards "enjoying the moment" more.  For instance, movie time is movie time.  I direct 100% of my attention to what's going on so I won't miss a detail.  My family even has a no-phones-at-the-table rule. We dedicate that time to hearing about what's going on in each others' lives.  Oh, and game time, I'm not even thinking about picking up my phone. I'm in the zone, with the exception a little half-time break!  So I challenge you to enjoy the moment, and take a temporary break from technology, even if it's only for a few minutes. Trust me, it's not so bad. 

-Brittani Hunter


9 comments:

  1. Eric Baiden-QuaysonOctober 5, 2010 at 9:37 AM

    Eric comments:
    I believe that you can find a healthy balance between technology and reality. "Too each it's own" -- although it may seem difficult deeming that we are in a internet age, it is possible. Electronic media use can be circumcised if the owner of these many devices -- cell phones, laptops, pdas, and so fourth -- understands that they are using it too much, and makes a conscious effort to remedy the problem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Technology really has consumed our lives and I will be the first to admit I am the one who is always trying to buy newest and most advanced thing. This is our generation, but I do believe we need to establish that healthy balance betwen technology and reality. I HATE going to dinner and watching parents let their children play PSP or listen to music!! It's insane. There needs to be time away from technology. I have grown up being respectful and having good manors at the dinner table, and I feel that everyone should too. It's not even that hard to step away and join reality!

    -Max

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find this article to be interesting. Releasing an application that detects cell phone radiation has many pros and cons. However I believe there would be more cons then pros due to the idea pertaining to an health issue. "The company said that it is not to scare people away from using cell phones", I agree with you Brittan, releasing this product will do just that.

    William Ward III

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chris Watson:

    I'd have to say that I totally agree with Brittani Hunter on this topic. Just the other day, I was telling myself that I would try to give my computer a break; meaning I really needed to give myself a break from my computer mentally. The question Hunter asks, "are we able to establish a healthy balance between our technological words and reality," is a good question, and from my perspective, I would have to say that we can't. I am on Twitter constantly throughout the day making sure that I keep up with my followers and what they are doing, but in all actuality, I don't really know any of the people I am following nor will I really ever get a chance to meet them. Yet, they are a priority to me everyday. With that being said, I will do my best to take a step back from my technological world and "enjoy the moments" of life in the real world.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with your article. I believe that technology runs a great deal of our lives. Not on with cell phones, but sites like Facebook. Over the weekend I watched 'Social Network,' which is the movies about the founders of Facebook and I realized how public our lives have become since these websites. We share everything about ourselves, from likes to dislikes, birthday, relationship status, where we were born, pictures and even keep our friend up to date with every move we take. I feel like we constantly have a billboard of ourselves open for everyone to see. I feel like technology has affected us socially, like not dedicating enough time to your family, because you're texting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoyed this post. Stylistically it is broken well into paragraphs that drive the reader forward. Logically, it crafts your personal experience and shares it with us, your readers. And finally, it uses digital technology to comment on the successes and weaknesses of using technology.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with Brittany all the way. I believe we technology is everyone's life. Everyone needs a cell phone or a computer, without those we have no communication at all. I am on my phone texting or i'm on facebook all day everyday. Without those things in my life i wouldn't have a life at all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree. Its just crazy to think about how much someone can do from their phones these days. My first cell phone I could only text from my Nokia phone and today theres a number of things I can do(surf the web, send/check email, pay my bills, take 8megapixel phtots, etc). With all of these functions available its easy to always be checking your phone.

    -M.Ellis

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's so crazy that we all can admit to this, yet it's still so hard to put these things down! It really is like an addiction. Even when we do call ourselves "taking a break" from technology, it's so common to wonder whether we'll have any comments on our status, or new wall posts upon our next login, or if we'll have any texts from our friends or our significant others. I'm trying to get to the point where I completely remove myself from my technology, both physically and mentally. I did that quite a bit this summer when my family went on an 8-day long, spontaneous road trip. I honestly had the best time because I could have cared less about my facebook, text message, missed calls etc. I truly realized why I love my family so much!

    ReplyDelete