Wednesday, September 29, 2010

The NCAA wont let me play!


             I have always loved and excelled in the game of lacrosse. So when I was contacted by several universities and given the opportunity to play at the collegiate level I was thrilled. Being from Canada I was not aware of those options. But after packing up and moving across the continent the NCAA tells me that a high school math course, which I passed, is not a credible course. They have told me that the standards are not up to par with what they require in their student athletes. My family and I were crushed. The NCAA does not understand that not everyone in the world knows about there requirements. In a telephone conversation I had with someone at there offices they asked me “ well didn’t someone at your high school go over the requirements” Now I don’t want to sound like I live in the middle of no where but I would be damned if my high school counselor even knew what the NCAA is. And I know for a fact that no one from the NCAA told me about this problem until I was in North Carolina. It would have been nice to know after I submitted my transcripts to them in January. Where I stand now is in a paper work battle with the NCAA. Now I understand that they deal with a lot of this kind of stuff, but it would have been nice to have been sent an email or phone call, not show up to my first college practice and be chewed out by my coach for not being cleared.

--Ross Radcliffe

6 comments:

  1. I feel like this isn't the first time the NCAA has had a hiccup in their paperwork. I haven't personally dealt with this, but I know people who have. The NCAA Clearinghouse needs to be more specific with what is and is not required because student athletes all over the country simply watch their season wash away over a few credits here and there. There needs to be a clear line as to what is and is not required to avoid this kind of mess. Hopefully a case like yours will open their eyes a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This seems to be a problem throughout a lot of NCAA sports. I know a alot of people who have had the same problem as you. You would think that by this point the NCAA would have fixed their paperwork to make it clear to student athletes what is acceptable as a high school course and what is not going to be accepted. It is not fair to the student athlete to come into college expecting to play and then get shut down because one of their high school classes was not accredited or sufficient for the NCAA clearinghouse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The NCAA can be real tricky at times, especially with you Canadian fellows. We lost what would have been one of our best attackman because the NCAA didn't clear him, so he transferred. He would be a senior this year and would be making our ride to the national championship that much easier.

    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  4. post 2 by shannon

    ReplyDelete
  5. The NCAA seems to have clearing house issues all the time. Entering my freshman year, i had issues with the NCAA saying i hadnt payed for my test scores to be sent, when i had already done so. This is something you should have definitely known sooner. Its sad you have to suffer by waiting on the NCAA, they really need to come up with a better process to prevent such issues.

    ReplyDelete