Wednesday, September 29, 2010

The Attacks of September 11th

         With the discussion about 9/11 in our previous class, it made me think about the immediate impact it had on my family and I.  That day I can say has been the worst day in my life.  Just knowing the amount of family I had in New York City and their direct relevance to the World Trade Center, it makes me sick to think about it still. As soon as the news began to poor into my 6th grade classroom over a telecom system and they wheeled in a television I began to feel as though this was serious.  Once I saw the smoke billowing out from the towers my stomach sank.  As I sat there staring into one of the most terrifying sights I will ever witness, I was removed from class by our principle.  With a quick hop in his step, he walked with me down to his office where he had my mom on a speakerphone waiting.  There she said that my dad was in that part of the city and they were frantically trying to get a hold of him.  But as you may not know, most of the cell phone towers rest atop the twin towers.  That was the absolute worst feeling I have ever felt.  My mother rushed over to the school and picked me up, and we went home where my aunt and grandparents were all sitting around with their eyes glued to the television.  That is when we received a call from my fathers co-workers cell phone saying that he was safe and fine.  Every year this day brings chills to my body when I think about what might have been. 

            The reason I chose to write about this is because with this historical date quickly approaching, there are many specials on television that show different views of what happened that day.  The one thing that truly bothers me, are the specials that suggest foul play was involved.  I know that this was not the case, because I refuse to believe that our nation would purposely destroy the lives of so many people just to have a right to go to war.  All in all this day will remain a day of great grief among not only New Yorkers, but Americans as a whole. 

--Miles Kerbien
 



2 comments:

  1. This is one of the situations in life where you will always remember exactly what you were doing and where you were. I remember it like it was yesterday, my 7th grade gym class was outside on the tennis courts and it was 2nd period. The Principle came running outside and was screaming to our teacher to get the kids back in the building. With parents coming and picking their kids up, all we did was go from class to class and sit and watch what was happening on the tv. About 1/2 the school left so I remember kids freaking out, and our teachers phones kept ringing for the next kid to be sent home. Then after school ended I remember riding home on the bus which was basically empty and seeing that their was not alot of people on the streets, most likely cause everyone was glued to a TV somewhere in shock of what happened. It is crazy to think about how at one time or one day the whole country was glued to the TV. Everyone was doing the same thing at the same time, this was a day that i will never forget.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a good point about how everyone remembers where they were when the attacks did happen or at least when they found out. Do you think that I should have added anything else or am I good with what I have?
    -Miles Kerbein

    ReplyDelete