Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Creature of the Sea


What is the most daring thing you’ve ever done?

     My most daring event happened this summer.  I windsurfed alone, in the Caribbean Sea. Although I had windsurfed regularly the pervious summer on a lake, I had been on a beginner board, and the winds were very mild.  Now, I was in the Virgin Islands, the water was a lot deeper and the winds blew much stronger. From the moment I started to windsurf i feel in love with it, and to go in the Caribbean- well, would be amazing.  And so it was decided.  I marched up to the post-hippie-surfer dude from the rental stand and rented a board and sail.  He took me and his son, Chongo, out into the sea.  He dropped us off miles from shore, pointed me in the direction of the beach and said that if I wasn’t back in two hours, he’d come find me.  (I hadn’t realized I would be out there for more than an hour…)
  
     Earlier, I said I was alone out at sea- and I was, because before I could even get up on the board Chongo, who was maybe 10 years old, sailed away and out of sight within 5 minutes.  So, yes, I was very much alone for the remaining hour and 55 minutes.  Although seeing a 10 year old fly past you with no problem is a bit discouraging, I stood up on the board, bent my knees, grabbed on to the rope and pulled the sail up from the water.  When the sail was raised I placed my hands on the bar as a huge gust of wind filled the sail, throwing me straight into the water.  So I climbed back up.  Once again I pulled up the sail, caught the wind, and found a steady speed, then just as I started to get the hang of it, I was thrown back into the water by the wind.  This happened again, and again, and again maybe a hundred more times.  Finally out of utter frustration I gave up.  Still far from land, I sat on the board in hopes of floating towards shore.

     As I watched my feet dangle in the water I began to make out a greenish, bluish white blob floating up towards my foot, this strange object grew bigger and bigger and I soon realized it was a huge, frightening, mysterious creature of the sea. 

     I am terrified of fish- especially in deep water, and at the time I could have sworn it was as big as my board.  I hopped up on that board faster than I ever thought I could, grabbed the rope and to my surprise, I began to sail.  This time there was no big gust of wind knocking me off and I was actually moving at a decent speed.  Finally I was getting somewhere!  I could begin to see the people swimming near the shore and the rental stand!  Eventually I made it back to shore, just as the post-hippie man was about to head out in search for me.

      This may sound corny and a little cliché but my fear of the greenish, bluish creature of the sea helped me achieve what I had given up on.  Although I didn’t get back to shore right away, and I continued to fall down… and then at one point realized I was headed in the wrong direction- but at least I was moving!  And this time, I wasn’t giving up.  Yes, I was a bit embarrassed by how many times I wiped out, but I couldn’t have been more proud of myself for staying out there and not giving up.  The next day when I woke up I couldn’t move.  My whole body ached.  I felt pain in muscles I never knew I had, but it was a good pain.  The kind you want to feel.  Because every time that day that my muscles ached and screamed- I was reminded that I windsurfed the Caribbean Sea.

-Adair Kennedy

 

19 comments:

  1. Adair, I love your story because I have gone through the same situation involving a stand-up paddle board and a large black fin. I could not stand up on the board previously but when the fin bumped my board on knocked me off, I had gotten back on the board, and stood up before I could even think. Before I knew it, I was riding a wave into shore. I am also a believer that fear and adrenaline can let a person do amazing things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alec, It's great what your mind lets you achieve when the right subjects are in place! Especially when that subject is a slimy aquatic creature! :)

      Delete
  2. This must have been so cool! I have windsurfed once in my life but it wasn't in the caribbean sea. I remember ending up farther out then I intended and actually being afraid of a dolphin and thats what made me want to get back to shore. It's funny because i'm not afraid of dolphins but being alone out at sea with only the dolphin kind of freaked me out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While being alone at see was a bit scary, I also found it cathartic- as is the large mass of water was rinsing away my fears.

      Delete
  3. That sounds like an awesome experience! I tried windsurfing once in the Dominican Republic, and my results were about like yours. Unfortunately, I didn't have a terrifying aquatic encounter to scare me onto the board, so I mostly just crouched on the board and waited to fall... again... and again. I'm sure it can be a lot of fun if you get the hang of it, but until then it is rather disheartening. Kudos to you for successfully windsurfing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eric! I credit all my success to that terrifying aquatic encounter.

      Delete
  4. I loved your story, I am jealous you got over your fear of sea creatures because mine is still in full force. Even though my favorite place in the world is the beach, there is no way you will ever see me in the water. I suppose it is a fear of the unknown but I just can never bring myself to do it. I think I really need to get over this fear because i'm missing out on experiences like windsurfing on the Caribbean!

    -Stephanie Y

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly wasn't easy to get over the fear, and well, in this case i didn't have much choice. But I always try to remind myself i could squash the fish with my foot in i wanted to. That usually makes me feel better, they are so much smaller than us!

      Delete
  5. Maybe it was a mermaid?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the story, mainly because I share the same fear as you do. Well not of fish, but rather of deep water, as I generally never stay in water deeper than say, 4 or 5 ft. It's also great that you used the metaphor of your fears as a big green blob from underneath the sea. The amount of detail that you incorporated into your story makes me feel as if I was windsurfing also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! That's so great to hear. I always try to paint a picture for my readers, I'm glad it was one you were able to see!

      Delete
  7. The point you brought up at the end about seeing your pain as a reminder that you were windsurfing the the caribbean sea displays a very optimistic perception on life. I have a very personal connection to your story,because it is my family's tradition to go to St. John for Thanksgiving break. We can't go this year, but I hold the caribbean close to my heart. It is my family's mecca. The Caribbean sea is holy to me. People there are vibrant. One of my pals who also visits every year for thanksgiving partakes in windsurfing. It looks like a very challenging activity. It requires a lot of strength. The picture you posted of being in the water, takes me back. I know exactly what it feels like to be in that water as the soft, salty air caresses your skin. Thanks for writing something that took me on a vacation.

    -Shannon Fowler

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE St. John. It's so beautiful and peaceful there. We were actually staying in St. Thomas, but loved St. John so much we took the ferry over everyday. As for the windsurfing, while it does require strength in muscles that most do not regularly use, windsurfing doesn't require that much strength kids of all ages can do it! It's tough part is timing and patience! If you think you can handle that you should try it! Just remember to stretch before and after!

      Delete
  8. The point you brought up at the end about seeing your pain as a reminder that you were windsurfing the the caribbean sea displays a very optimistic perception on life. I have a very personal connection to your story,because it is my family's tradition to go to St. John for Thanksgiving break. We can't go this year, but I hold the caribbean close to my heart. It is my family's mecca. The Caribbean sea is holy to me. People there are vibrant. One of my pals who also visits every year for thanksgiving partakes in windsurfing. It looks like a very challenging activity. It requires a lot of strength. The picture you posted of being in the water, takes me back. I know exactly what it feels like to be in that water as the soft, salty air caresses your skin. Thanks for writing something that took me on a vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Adair, what a phenomenal story. Myself being from Southern California, I am at ease being by the water. A lake, pool, ocean, river, stream you name it and I find harmony. I have always wanted to try my hand at wind surfing myself. I remember going down to laguna beach when I was younger and seeing the wind surfers in the early morning when the current was calm. Serenity. My experience in the water goes as far as my bad attempt at surfing(oddly enough I am really good at snowboarding), and paddle boarding. But I can only imagine how wind surfing would be another monster in itself. I propose this to you, teach me to wind surf, preferably when the season is right for it, and I will be the happiest person! From one creature of the sea to another loved your story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fly me out to Southern Cali and your proposal is accepted! :)

      Delete
  10. Adair, while I am completely in awe of your dare-devilish ways of windsurfing out in the middle of no where, what I can't quit laughing at is how well you described Chongo! The little man supposed to be guiding you around and then just disappearing on you is something that would definitely, and has definitely happened to me in other sorts of circumstances. "Damn it Chongo!" Oh, how discouraging that would be, along with faceplanting in the ocean a couple times. You are much stronger than I, because at that point, I would be having a full blown panic attack. What's really cool is the symbolism that the big fish represents in facing your fears. Not your fear of fish, but the fear of not being able to accomplish your goals and giving up. By the end of reading your story, my inner voice was literally cheering you on as you talked about reaching shore. I'm proud of you girl! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comments Brittani! I'm glad you found the humor in Chongo! And while was on the verge of cursing him for leaving me stranded there, I had to laugh and the situation too, of course the Caribbean tinny bopper would surpass me!

      Delete