Thursday, December 9, 2010

Pro Athlete Pay Cuts


In a day and age where people are crazy about there sports teams whether its football, basketball, hockey, or baseball, players don’t seem to stay put in the same location for to long. This can be blamed on several things the most popular being the salary cap. People argue that by teams having a set amount of money but player’s salary changing from year to year makes it impossible to stay put in one location. But I don’t buy it! What happened to players taking slight pay cuts to be on a winning team. Back in the day this was something that was much more common then it is today. The last time I remember this happening was in the 2004 off-season in the NFL. Long time patriot’s linebacker, Teddy bruscki, was needed to be resigned after their super bowl win. Instead of using his new found super bowl ring to cash in on potential contract offers he humbly resigned with the patriots to a small contract so that they could sign more players from the previous year as well. In my books those are the types of individuals I would want on my team. I mean they already make huge amounts of money I am sure a couple hundred thousand is not going to hurt these athletes very much. Anyways tell me what you guys think! Thanks. 
Ross Radcliffe


1 comment:

  1. I agree with you on this one, those are the type of players I would want on my team as well. However, I believe its easier to ask for pay cuts and salary reductions from outside, but for a Pro-Athlete who's job security may last 10-15 years tops, its a different deal.

    The so called loyalty and love for the game have gone out the window the second leagues like NFL started moving millions around; players see all that and don't want to get any less than what they feel they deserve. And they have to do it in a few years, because most pro-athletes must secure their family's future in only a few years.

    Think of it this way: a 25 year old has a good 30 or 40 years of work ahead of him, how many years does an average 25 year old soccer/basketball/football player have left? Many would call them mercenaries, but it seems logical based on the system fans, owners, sponsors and the rest of the industry have built for them.

    ReplyDelete